‘Tis the season for decorating your home, but how can you do it carefully? That’s what our expert roofers here at Feazel are here to tell you. We’ve been working on all types of roof systems since 1988, so we understand the best practices for safely working on and around them.
In this article, we’re going to go over the top tips to hang your lights safely as well as the steps you should take to get the job done. Ready to learn how to hang Christmas lights on a roof? Let’s dive in!
1. Avoid Staples and Nails
While nails and staples are a quick and easy way to affix your lights, they also can cause a lot of damage. They can create holes, which can quickly lead to leaks, water damage, and mold growth. This means you’ll have to shell out money to repair your roof.
Worst case scenario is you’ll shorten the lifespan of your roof and have to replace it even sooner. Instead, use light hanging clips!
2. Clean Out Your Gutters Beforehand
Leaves and debris in your gutters are already a nuisance, but they can be even more annoying when it comes to hanging your lights. If your gutters begin to overfill, they can quickly get caught in the lights, making them all the more difficult to take down after the holiday season.
3. Attach the Lights to the Right Places
You have two options to consider when it comes to hanging your lights: hanging them on the gutters or directly on the shingles. Regardless of which you choose, it’s important to follow all safety precautions to keep your home exterior safe.
- If you’re hanging them on the gutters, be sure not to attach anything else to them.
- If you’re hanging them on the shingles, attach only one strand of lights at a time.
4. Have an Assistant with You
Finally, be sure not to hang your lights by yourself. Working around your roof is already risky, and it can be even more dangerous with the cold weather involved. It’s best to always have a supervisor to make sure everything is stable while you’re working. Plus, it’ll make the job go much faster!
Hanging Christmas Lights: A Quick Step-by Step Guide
Now that you have these helpful tips on your side, here’s a quick step-by-step on how to hang your lights safely:
- Attach the first few clips to the bulb or cord before climbing up the ladder. This will depend on the types of Christmas light clips you get.
- Don’t connect the next string of lights until you’re out of the first one. Return to the ground any time you need to add more clips or another string of light.
- Attach your extension cords to the power outlet. Do not turn the lights on until after you hang them up as they will get hot.
- Climb the ladder carefully, attaching the clips to the gutters or shingles with one hand. Keep the clips close enough to keep the line taut.
DISCLAIMER:If there is snow or ice on the ground or on your roof, or if it is wet outside, do not attempt to hang your lights. When it comes time to hang your lights, be sure to follow all safety codes, building codes, and ladder safety precautions. Additionally, have at least one other person with you.
And finally, you may be asking yourself: how to hang lights without a ladder? There are a couple different options you can consider:
- Light-Hanging Poles
- Bucket Lift
Learn More by Reaching Out to Our Roofing Experts at Feazel Today
As your trusted roofing team, Feazel is here to answer any and all of your questions about roofing. Whether you’re still unsure on how to hang your lights, already damaged your roof, or have any other inquiries, give us a call, or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation today.
Subscribe to Feazel's Blog