5 Tips for Safe Holiday Decorating
With all the holiday excitement, it is easy to forget about the safety precautions you, as a homeowner, should take when decorating your home. Don’t worry – we’re here to help! Here are 5 tips to keep in mind while you decorate for the holidays:
1. Use safety when installing decorations. Before you begin decorating your home, make sure you inspect your ladder – this includes reading all the labels and warnings. You can find more helpful ladder safety tips from OSHA. If you don’t have the proper materials, ask a neighbor!
2. Check each set of lights before stringing them along your home. If any of the light bulbs are damaged, discard or replace them. If you need to make a swap, make sure to take a look at the wattage of the bulbs to ensure an accurate substitute. Damaged bulbs or those with too high of a wattage can increase chances of electrocution or create a fire hazard.
3. Pay attention to outdoor vs. indoor lights. Believe it or not, there are different holiday lights for internal and external use. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, outdoor lights are tested to withstand harsh weather conditions while indoor lights are only tested for tree safety. Indoor lights could damage due to weather and lead to dangerous conditions.
4. Fasten lights securely to your home. We have experienced some crazy weather the last few weeks! Securely fastening your decorations with insulated staples or hooks will help keep your decorations intact and prevent unwanted damage.
5. Turn off all of your holiday lights and decorations before going to sleep. This will help to avoid shorts that can turn into fires –You can even set your decorations on a timer to make it easier for you and your family during the hustle and bustle of the season.
Do you have any additional safety tips for homeowners to keep in mind while decorating their homes? Share them in the comments below!